Opinion: It will take more than a pandemic to stop the running of the 2020 Kentucky Derby

Opinion: It will take more than a pandemic to stop the running of the 2020 Kentucky Derby

There were doubts about the Kentucky Derby. There were those who wondered if America’s most famous horse race was sturdy enough to withstand a global pandemic; whether social distancing demands would force the cancellation of the 146th Run for the Roses or cause it to be contested in front of an empty grandstand.

False alarm, it turns out. You’d have an easier time stopping a tidal wave with a tissue.

Thursday’s announcement that the Sept. 5 Derby will be run with as-yet unspecified “venue capacity reductions” should have come as no surprise. Though COVID-19 has cost us March Madness, the College World Series and Wimbledon this year, the Kentucky Derby endures, delayed but not defeated.

Churchill Downs President Matt Winn set the track’s damn-the-torpedoes tone in 1943, with his wartime declaration that, “The Kentucky Derby will be run, even if there are only two horses in the race and only two people in the stands.”

At the time, the federal government had taken a two-pronged approach to discouraging the race. The office of defense transportation’s Joseph Eastman said, “It would be better from a transportation standpoint if the Kentucky Derby were not run this year.” William Jeffers, the national rubber administrator, forbade race meets at tracks accessible mainly by automobiles in the interests of tire conservation.

The horses head up the front stretch at Churchill Downs for the 143rd running of The Kentucky Derby. The winner was Always Dreaming. May 6, 2017

So Churchill Downs limited its parking lots to cars carrying “A” coupons before opening its gates, and Count Fleet won the so-called “Streetcar Derby” en route to racing’s sixth Triple Crown.

The 2020 Derby will be run four months behind schedule, 11 weeks after last Saturday’s Belmont Stakes, and probably with only about one-third of the 150,729 who attended last year’s historic disqualification of first-place finisher Maximum Security. Yet though reduced, rescheduled and out of its accustomed order among thoroughbred racing’s 3-year-old classics, the Derby remains a hallowed tradition, the signature event of its sport and Kentucky’s equine economic engine.

It’s the Keith Richards of racing: iconic and seemingly indestructible.

Conscious that variables far outnumber certainties at this point, and that a second wave of the coronavirus could profoundly change his plans, track president Kevin Flanery declined to provide a precise crowd projection while addressing the media Thursday morning. The plan approved by Gov. Andy Beshear’s office will restrict holders of general admission tickets to the track’s 26-acre infield and impose density limits on reserved seating and suites.

“We've tried to be nimble, and we will continue to be nimble,” Flanery said. “We will adjust to the facts as they are in the moment, but we have to make plans. We have to look forward and say what we want to accomplish in two months (and) how do we bring people to the track safe and effectively."

According to the track’s statement, spectators will be “consistently and frequently encouraged” to wear a mask at all times unless seated; to maintain social distance and to wash or sanitize their hands frequently. Mobility throughout the venue will be limited. Backside barn access will be limited to essential personnel.

“It’s going to be a different experience,” Flanery said. “This is a different year.”

The closest the Derby has come to cancellation was in 1945, when horse racing was briefly banned before the end of the war in Europe. The first Saturday in May fell on May 5 that year. V-E Day was May 8.

Shortly after the ban was lifted, a hastily arranged Derby was held on June 9. There were 16 horses in the race and 65,000 people on the premises.

There may not be as many people in attendance when Tiz the Law tries to build on his Belmont victory. But the show will go on. Be sure of that.

Tim Sullivan: 502-582-4650, tsullivan@courier-journal.com; Twitter: @TimSullivan714.

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/horseracing/2020/06/25/kentucky-derby-2020-run-fans-even-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/3260155001/

News Related

ORTHER NEWS

Trump’s ‘mission accomplished’ moment is premature and deadly. We have not defeated COVID.

Desperate for crowds and adoration, Trump has put his most fervent supporters at risk of getting a deadly disease. Future historians will be astonished. Read more »

NFLPA president JC Tretter says NFL is putting season, players at risk with its coronavirus approach

NFL Players Association president JC Tretter said Tuesday the NFL is putting the 2020 season at risk with its coronavirus approach, calling on the league to better “prioritize player safety.” “Like many other... Read more »

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro says he tested positive for the coronavirus

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro says he has tested positive for COVID-19 after months of downplaying the virus’ severity. Bolsonaro confirmed the test results while wearing a mask and... Read more »

Venice Film Festival forges ahead amid COVID-19 pandemic with reduced lineup

The show will go on for the Venice Film Festival in September, but with a few modifications due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Organizers said Tuesday that they are pushing forward with plans for... Read more »

Amtrak offers buy-one, get-one promotion on its sleeper trains amid COVID-19 — with a catch

Amtrak wants you to have sweet dreams the next time you travel — so much so that it’s sweetening the deal on its sleeper “roomettes.” The rail service is offering a buy-one-get-one-free discount... Read more »

Florida teen treated with hydroxychloroquine at home before dying of COVID-19, report says

FORT MEYERS, Fla. – The family of a 17-year-old Florida girl who died last month from COVID-19 treated her symptoms at home for nearly a week before taking her to a hospital, a... Read more »

Mookie Betts worried MLB coronavirus testing woes could prevent him from ever playing for Dodgers

During nearly four months away from the game, Mookie Betts said he “stayed away from baseball to keep myself sane.” It’s not hard to understand why. The 2018 American League Most Valuable Player... Read more »

Tom Hanks doesn’t get ‘how common sense has somehow been put into question’ with coronavirus

Read more »

Can Gov. DeSantis force Florida schools to reopen amid the coronavirus pandemic? Some school leaders seem doubtful.

PALM BEACH, Fla. — As concern about the state order spread online, some school leaders said: Not so fast. As Florida educators puzzle over how to start the new academic year, Gov. Ron... Read more »

Texas surpasses 200,000 coronavirus cases after 4th of July holiday weekend

AUSTIN, Texas – Texas reached 200,000 total COVID-19 cases Monday, just 17 days after crossing the 100,000 threshold, a figure that took the state nearly four months to hit. The grim milestone came... Read more »