Derek Chauvin requests new trial after being convicted of George Floyd’s murder

Derek Chauvin on Tuesday requested a new trial after being convicted in April of second-degree murder and other charges in the death of George Floyd.

Attorney Eric J. Nelson says in the motion that Chauvin was denied a fair trial due to “prosecutorial and jury misconduct; errors of law at trial,” and that the resulting jury’s verdict was “contrary to law.”

Chauvin, who is white, was convicted in April of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter for pressing his knee against Floyd’s neck for more than nine minutes as the Black man said he couldn’t breathe and went motionless.

The motion argues “the Court abused its discretion when it failed to sequester the jury for the duration of the trial” and “the State committed pervasive, prejudicial prosecutorial misconduct, which deprived Mr. Chauvin of his constitutional rights to due process and a fair trial.”

Chauvin is scheduled to be sentenced in June. Minnesota’s attorney general last week filed paperwork asking that Chauvin be given a more severe prison sentence in the killing of George Floyd, arguing that the former Minneapolis police officer inflicted torturous deadly methods as Floyd pleaded for his life.

You may also like...