Costco senior hours update: Some clubs have varying special hours for seniors, most vulnerable amid COVID-19
Costco Wholesale Club continues its special operating hours for members 60 and older and vulnerable shoppers amid the coronavirus pandemic.
At most clubs, the designated hour for senior shoppers, members with disabilities or immunocompromised is 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. Monday through Friday.
However, some locations have varying hours, according to Costco’s COVID-19 updates page, which lists the variations and other policy changes. (See below.)
Earlier in December, Costco’s list of stores that had varying senior hours included some Arizona, Virginia, Nevada, New Jersey, New York and New Mexico stores but as of Thursday the updated list is shorter and no longer includes stores in those states.
McDonald’s free cookies:Get Santa’s favorite treat on Christmas Eve with the restaurant’s app
What’s open Christmas Day 2020?:CVS, Starbucks, McDonald’s and 7-Eleven make the list but Walmart, Costco are closed
The designated hour, which started March 24 as a twice-weekly event, was quickly extended to three times a week. Then when clubs resumed normal hours in early May, clubs extended the senior hours to weekday mornings at most locations.
“Due to the increase in COVID-19 cases, Costco will maintain current Special Operating Hours until further notice,” the retailer says on its website, which notes guests “will not be admitted” during the time.
Costco originally announced plans over the summer to reduce the special hours in July but didn’t end up cutting the hours as cases spiked.
The membership club has made several changes because of the pandemic and was one of the first retailers to require shoppers to wear masks. Last month, Costco updated the policy to say it will no longer make exemptions for people who say they can’t wear a face covering because of a medical condition.
Under the new policy that started Nov. 16, all members, guests and employees must wear a face mask or a face shield in order to shop in the nearly 560 clubs nationwide. Children under 2 continue to be exempt from wearing a face covering with the updated policy.
Costco senior hours and exceptions
The designated hour for senior shoppers, members with disabilities or immunocompromised is 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. Monday through Friday at most clubs. Members who don’t meet the criteria will not be admitted.
The following clubs are the exceptions listed on the COVID-19 updates page at www.costco.com/covid-updates.html, which is frequently updated. Find all locations’ hours at www.costco.com/warehouse-locations.
- Newark, Delaware: Senior Shopping Hours are from 8 to 9 a.m., Monday through Friday.
- Iwilei (Honolulu), Hawaii: Senior Shopping Hours are from 8 to 9 a.m., Monday through Friday.
- Maryland: Gaithersburg and Wheaton locations “will allow no more than one person to enter the warehouse per membership card due to Montgomery County occupancy restrictions.” Costco lists the Wheaton store’s hours as 8 to 9 a.m. Monday through Friday.
- Massachusetts: Senior Shopping Hours are 8:30 – 9:30 a.m., daily.
- Oregon: Senior Shopping Hours are 8:30 to 9:30 a.m., Monday through Friday.
California Costco senior hours
Los Angeles locations: Senior Shopping Hours are from 8 to 9 a.m., Monday through Friday. Locations include: Alhambra, Burbank, Chino Hills, City Of Industry, Culver City, Cypress, Fountain Valley, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Hawthorne, Huntington Beach, Irvine, La Habra, Lakewood, Los Feliz, Monterey Park, Northridge, Norwalk, Oxnard, Pacoima, San Bernardino, Signal Hill, Torrance, Tustin, Van Nuys and Woodland Hills
- The following Bay Area locations’ Senior Shopping Hours are 8 to 9 a.m., Monday through Friday: Foster City, Great Oaks, Hayward, NE San Jose, Santa Cruz and Richmond.
- The following Bay Area locations’ Senior Shopping Hours are 8:30 to 9:30 a.m., Monday through Friday: Almaden, Cal Expo, Danville, El Camino, Folsom, Fremont, Livermore, Modesto, Redwood City, Reno, Richmond, Sacramento, Salinas, San Francisco, San Leandro, South San Francisco and Sunnyvale.
- The following Bay Area locations’ Senior Shopping Hours are 9 to 10 a.m., Monday through Friday: Antioch, Carson City, Chico, Citrus Heights, Clovis, Elk Grove, Eureka, Fairfield, Fresno, Gilroy, Hanford, Lodi, Manteca, Merced, Mountain View, North Fresno, Novato, Rancho Cordova, Rohnert Park, Redding, Roseville, San Jose, Sandcity, Santa Clara, Santa Rosa, Sparks, Stockton, Tracy, Turlock, Ukiah, Vacaville, Vallejo, Visalia and Woodland.
Follow USA TODAY reporter Kelly Tyko on Twitter: @KellyTyko